Pages

22 September, 2010

Get R done, moving the beast.

It all started when I thought I heard Laura say "I wish I had something in our room to hang clothes on." This gave me the perfect excuse to try to move this huge beast of a wardrobe up from the office/loft area over our kitchen into our bedroom.
I had been told numerous times that it was impossible to move it out of the loft because the wall and railing had been built around it. That kind of thing drives me crazy, I hate being told "it cant be done" cause "cant do it" alot of times is just an excuse for "don't want to do it" Besides, I had an brilliant idea that I was so sure no one had ever had before. My idea was simple, lay the thing down first, then it will fit end ways thru the too small door.

(This is where it had stood)

Stage 1.The tilt and flip:

1>Empty the wardrobe.
2>Tip the wardrobe and realize by the marks on the celing that this has been tried 3before. It hits the ceiling just before heading on the downward slope.(This thing feels really heavy.)
4>Brush aside negitive feelings and temptation to swear.
5>Think and talk with Laura who tells me that she said she "wants to get some hangers for the wardrobe so she can hang her clothes in it" and that she did not need it to be upstairs for that.
6>Convince Laura that this is no problem, I da man....
7>Think.
8>Notice that the floor is saggy and sloped where I am standing.
9>Drag wardrobe to saggy floor, tip again, bounce a little while tiping, Success!!
10>Slide thru door. (Did I mention how heavy this thing is?)

At this point i realize that the wardrobe may not make the landing corner.


Step 2: Turning the corner on the landing of the stairs.

1>Stand wardrobe back up. (Did I mention how stinking heavy this thing is??)
2>Use a chair as a pivot and my leg as a lever to position wardrobe on smell step up of landing. (My leg is a little tender now...)
3>Try laying face of wardrobe on banister to do a fancy tip-flip onto the up stairs.
4>Notice that banister lines up with mirror.
5>Think "I better not rest this thing on the mirror or it will break the mirror."
6>Stand wardrobe back up. Put blanket on banister.
7>Call Laura for help to lift wardrobe straight up in the air and to rest it gracfully on the banister.
8>Laura cant get a grip.
9>Isaiah can't lift it.
10>Lift other end myself and wedge a drawer under it.
11>Go back to my side, lift and lean, yes! (this thing must be made of ironwood its so heavy)
12>Wonder what that tinkle sound is, remember the glass, yep, broke it.
13>Smile and do my happy dance!
14>lean back up, remove door (why didnt i do that before??)
15>Attempt tip-flip again, success!!


At this point I remember how heavy this thing is, how do I expect to move it up those stairs?? Laura is teaching, my shirt and shorts are soaked, Isaiah says I look like I went swimming and should come into his air-conditioned room. I take a break, drink three glasses of water, and "GET BACK ATER"

Step three: up those dang stairs.
1>Push for all Im worth, move it enough to get between it and the wall.
2>Stop for a second to catch my breath. (at this point the blood starts to be routed back to my brain, which sends me visions of lying on the stairs with a 300lb wardrobe sliding over me. I then begin to think about how far the nearest hospital is, and how I am still recovering from a broken hand. I also think of being crushed against the wall. And I think of Isaiah not knowing what to do or how to get help. I really should get some help... Or... I could make a pully system!, nope same visions, except this time the wardrobe does everything faster then it did in my last visions....
I then remember how your body can pull better then push!
3>Attempt to pull, no can do, Or maybe my body dosent want to.
4>Think, Remember that I read somewhere that you can get more energy from a good grunt.
5>Work up the best grunt I can, grab the banister and start hauling.
6>It moves, Isaiah says daddy your muscles are coming out of your back! (I had lost my shirt in the heat).
7>I roar and haul it up the rest of the way, into a rhythim now. grab banister, roar/pull, rest, repeat. I am superman... a hero to my little boy who is yelling, cheering and clapping for me to beat that wardrobe.
8> I make the top of the stairs, throat raw, head pounding, legs weak, heart thumping, muscles burning, sweat pouring, triumphant!! Zaya cheers!



So do not to let someone tell you what you are and are not able to do in life, thats between you, the Creator and the abilities He gives you to decide. Your place is in His will at all times and even when the obstacles are huge, He is WAY BIGGER!

3 comments:

Leah said...

well done, jeremy! that's pretty impressive work for just one guy. hope laura is happy now that she has a place to hang her clothes!!!

Kevin said...

You really need to make this into a dvd drama-documentary-re-enactment, with bonus features like directors cut, Isaiah commentary, and a preview of the sequel, "Revenge of the wardrobe: back down the stairs"

The Rowley Family said...

First I need to find a fake wardrobe, that thing is staying where I put it.

Pageviews past week